An Experimental Life

Thursday, January 19, 2006

More journal pages


Here are some journal pages that I've done since the start of the year. As soon as I made the commitment to start journalling everyday again, I found that I started having heaps I could write about. I promised myself that if I was too tired or didn't have time to do something arty, I would still write, even if it was only a paragraph. Once I started visual journalling about a year ago, I started feeling like every page I did had to have something on it other than just words - and I put so much pressure on myself to make my journal look all nice and brightly coloured and artistic, that sometimes I'd go weeks without doing anything. So this year I've given myself permission to have blank pages with just words, if that's what I feel like doing. I won't be scared of white space anymore!

I was playing around with some ideas for mosaicing a mirror frame as a present for a friend. Her birthday was back in November but I didn't get around to working on it until after Christmas. Ikea had these great mirrors that had 2 straight edges and 2 wavy edges and they came in a four-pack, so I bought some and used one to glue to a board and mosaiced the edges with coloured glass. I'm so pleased with how it turned out, so now I have to do one for me! The original ideas I had are somewhat different from what I eventually did.

The final product - in sunlight the dark blue looks a lot better, more irridescent, like stained glass. I love the colour, but it doesn't photograph well unfortunately.

Anyway, I gave it to my friend today when she caught up for lunch - I think she liked it. She's moving house in another couple of weeks, so she'll have something original to hang in her new place.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home